Water Damage Cleanup | How to Clean Up a Flooded Basement
When burst pipes, natural disasters happen, or a failed sump pump leaves your basement with standing water, there are health and safety risks no matter how much water is present. Water damage cleanup needs to be completed quickly, but also correctly, to keep your family and property safe. Follow these steps to cleaning up a flooded basement:
- Turn off the Power- Never enter a basement with standing water while the power is on. Turn off the power via the circuit breaker. If the circuit breaker is located in the basement, you’ll need to call an electrician to turn off the power otherwise you’ll risk electrocution.
- Proper Safety Equipment- Waterproof boots, rubber gloves, and keeping your skin covered is very important for water damage cleanup. If there is mold in the basement, you’ll need proper masks and respirators as well.
- Water Removal- Within 48 hours of flooding mold can begin growing which is why it is important to dry out your basement as soon as possible. Water damage cleanup is best completed by professionals, especially if the water level is significant. You may be able to use a wet/dry vacuum to remove a few inches of water but could be in need of buckets as well.
- Dry Out the Basement- After the standing water is gone you’ll need to try out the floors, carpet, and anything else that became saturated. Open the windows and place large fans in the basement to circulate the air. You should also look for a dehumidifier to remove the moisture from the air. You may have to remove wet drywall and replace it. Carpet might also need to be replaced if mold has begun to grow.
- Cleanup- After the water is gone and the basement is dry, it’s time to clean up the walls and floors to remove any dirt and silt that may be leftover from the flooding. This will help with the initial water damage cleanup.
After you remove water from your basement and complete cleanup, you’ll need a mold inspection to ensure there is no mold hiding in your basement. Professional cleanup companies can provide excellent mold remediation services.
Contact Us for Your Water Damage Cleanup
If you’ve recently suffered flood damage, call ServiceMaster of Charleston at 843-285-6206.