Water Damage Clean Up | 3 Things to Never Burn in A Fireplace

Water Damage Clean Up | School is back in session and the trees are starting to turn. Fall is definitely in the air with the arrival Halloween decorations and pumpkin spice. This time of year can be a great time for homeowners to use their fireplaces in order to add warmth and ambiance to the season. However, there are some things that you should never burn in a fireplace in order to avoid fire damage cleanup services:

Wet Wood

You may think that all wood is the same but wood burning fireplaces need to use only wood that has been cut and properly stacked for a few months. Greenwood, or wood that was just cut from a live tree, still contains up to 45% of water making it not only hard to burn but also dangerous for homes. The water in green wood produces smoke which can cause damage to your home as well as builds up creosote inside the chimney. Avoid needing extensive fire damage cleanup services for your home by making sure that you are burning only seasoned wood.

Painted Lumber

If you are finishing up a summer remodeling project you may be tempted to set aside some of that wood to use later in the fireplace. Using painted or treated lumber in the fireplace is dangerous for not only your home but your family as well. Toxic chemicals can be released from wood that has been painted or treated. The chemicals can also corrode the inside of your fireplace and your chimney over time which can raise the chance of a house fire.


If you have trouble getting your fire started, refrain from using any kind of accelerant that can quickly get out of hand. Using lighter fluid, gasoline, or kerosene is a dangerous way to start an indoor fire in the fireplace and puts your home and family at great risk. Make sure to use safe ways to start a fire like some newspaper, dried kindling, and allow enough air to the fireplace. Using an accelerant is extremely dangerous and should be avoided.

Enjoy your fireplace this fall season but keep these tips in mind when setting a safe fire. Always make sure to keep an eye on the fire in order to keep your home and family safe. If you do have some fire or smoke damage from a rogue fireplace, consider calling ServiceMaster of Charleston for thorough fire damage cleanup services.