Mold exposure has recentlToxic Mold substance that can grow on surfaces like wood, fabric, paper, fiberboard, dust and even lint in a warm, moisture rich environment.  Black mold travels as a spore, or very small seed.  These mold spores can be transferred from a mold source outdoors into buildings, homes and structures by the wind, air currents, HVAC systems, windows and doors, or even be brought in by pets or people on clothes and shoes.  Once a mold spore settles it will only grow under the right conditions.  Unfortunately, your home or office may have a large number of places where mold can happily grow.  Most building materials contain all the right nutrients for mold to grow on and leaks, moisture and excessive humidity can provide the moist environment required for mold growth.

Knowing that your home or office may be the perfect breeding ground for black mold is only a problem if you understand the possible health implications of black mold exposure.  Mold can be an extremely dangerous substance to our bodies but few people have connected mold exposure with certain health problems.  Mold in your body can be extremely dangerous because mold, unlike other toxins is an organic compound that can possible avoid or suppress your body’s immune system making the effects very difficult for your body to fight.  Also, mold spores are so small and airborne they can enter your body through sensitive areas such as your nose and mouth and have direct access to your blood stream and other important organs.  Since the research is still being conducted its difficult to say what deseases can be caused by black mold exposure but it is becoming more evident that black mold exposure can lead to a wide variety of health concerns.  For more information about the health risks of black molds, read this article on mold and its toxic effect on our bodies: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/09/03/molds-making-you-ill.aspx

If you have discovered mold in your home or office, be very careful with it.  Black mold is usually dark green or black, slimy to the touch but it also can have a powdery appearance.  Since black mold is so hard to identify, any mold should be treated as potential hazardous until you can confirm what type of mold it is.  Mold identification should be left up to professionals who regularly deal with mold and its disposal.

If you decide to attempt to clean up your mold problem yourself, remember that you must remove the mold completely, otherwise it will quickly return.  You also must address the moisture problem in the area you have mold growing.  Hard surfaces can be cleaned easily using soapy water or a bleach solution of 1 cup of bleach mixed in 1 gallon of warm water.  Always wear sturdy non porous gloves with eye, nose and breathing protection.  If the area is larger than 10 square feet consider reading the EPA’s guide to mold remediation here: http://www.epa.gov/mold/mold_remediation.html

In any case it is far safer for you and your family to use a professional mold removal company that is properly trained in handling hazardous substances such as black mold and has the equipment necessary to complete remove your mold problem, fix your moisture issue and return your home or office to a safe living condition.  In the Charleston area, call ServiceMaster of Charleston for a consultation on your mold problem, or visit their website for more details on their mold remediation process -Mold Remediation .