Many people lose their beautiful carpets to water damage because they stick to DIY home remedies instead of seeking professional services. Most times, it’s also because people believe in certain myths and think they can do a better job at water damage cleanup & carpet restoration.
ServiceMaster of Charleston knows how to get your head out of these myths and into optimal carpet care!
Water-Damaged Carpet Cleaning Myths | Water Damage Cleanup
There are several myths regarding water-damaged carpets. Here are the most common ones:
1. Myth: You can dry a water-damaged carpet by laying towels on it. | Water Damage Cleanup
Fact: Laying towels on a water-damaged carpet will not effectively dry the carpet. The underlying padding and subfloor may still be wet, leading to mold growth and other damage. Hiring a professional water damage cleanup company is critical for restoring your carpet.
2. Myth: A household vacuum cleaner can save a water-damaged carpet.
Fact: A household vacuum can suck up water, but it also pushes it deeper into the carpet fibers and padding. This can lead to mold growth and other damage.
3. Myth: You can remove water-damage stains from a carpet using household bleach.
Fact: Bleach should never be used on a water-damaged carpet. It can cause discoloration, damage the carpet fibers, and release harmful fumes.
4. Myth: It’s safe to keep using a water-damaged carpet as long as it looks and smells okay.
Fact: Even if a water-damaged carpet looks and smells fine, it may still have hidden damage, such as mold growth or damage to the padding and subfloor. This can lead to health issues and further damage to your home.
It’s important to hire a professional water damage restoration company to properly assess and restore a water-damaged carpet to ensure the safety of your home and family.
How Can I Keep My Carpet Clean?
Here are some simple carpet care tips for cleaner interiors:
- Vacuum your carpets regularly to remove dirt, dust, & debris that can accumulate over time.
- If you spill something on your carpet, address it immediately to prevent staining. Blot up as much spilled liquid as possible with a clean paper towel or absorbent cloth, then use a mild carpet cleaning solution on the spot.
- Use doormats at all entryways to prevent dirt & debris from being tracked onto your carpets.
- Consider using carpet protectors, such as plastic mats or runners, in high-traffic areas or areas where spills are more likely to occur.
- Get your carpets cleaned by professionals at least once a year. It is a good idea to remove deep-seated dirt and stains.
Is Your Carpet Wet, Moldy & Cold?
Call ServiceMaster of Charleston, active tri-county professionals in water damage cleanup & emergency cleaning services, for exceptional carpet cleaning. We are available 24/7 for commercial, residential, & emergencies.