Your Ultimate Guide to Toxic Mold and Its Effects

Toxic MoldNobody likes to hear the word “mold,” especially when “toxic” is added to it. Toxic mold is a term that refers to fungus capable of producing mycotoxins that are harmful to humans. It is also a major topic in mounting health concerns. However, many people go unaware that there is toxic mold in their home. This happens because they don’t know what to look for or are oblivious to mold exposure symptoms. To help keep your family safe from the dangers of toxic mold, here is everything you need to know!

Are you suffering from toxic mold and in need of a black mold test? The professionals at ServiceMaster of Charleston are here to help with all of your mold remediation needs!

What is Toxic Mold?

Toxic mold produces mycotoxins that can spread by way of spores. If ingested in significant quantities, serious health problems can occur. While these issues can affect anyone, they are most prevalent in the elderly and children. Here are just some of the toxic mold symptoms to look out for:

  • Fatigue and Weakness
  • Headaches
  • Watery Eyes with Blurred Vision
  • Coughing/Sneezing
  • Poor Memory and Difficulty Concentrating
  • Abdominal Pain
  • Shortness of Breath
  • Appetite Swings
  • Vertigo

Many of these symptoms are very similar to those of a common cold. During the winter months (when mold is actually more likely to thrive in your home), many people dismiss these signs as a little cold. If you begin to notice these symptoms in yourself or a family member, monitor them closely and see if the symptoms persist longer than a week or worsen. If they do, it may be time to test for toxic mold.

Where Does Toxic Mold Grow

Any type of mold grows and thrives in dark, damp conditions. While you may think your home is immune to mold growth, think again! Mold spores can come right through your doors by way of your clothes, shoes, or even open windows. While mold spores entering your home are natural and, quite frankly, inevitable, they become a health hazard when they make themselves comfortable and begin to produce more spores.  Sometimes, the mold can thrive in places you won’t even notice, such as behind walls or beneath flooring! That’s why it’s very important to act quickly if you notice any of these signs, even if you can’t see it:

  • Strange, Musty Odor
  • Discoloration of Walls or Flooring
  • Collection of Water or Moisture in Any Area of the Home
  • Sudden Appearance of the Previously Listed Health Symptoms

How to Get Rid of Mold

The best option for mold removal is to rely on a great restoration company with the right experience and equipment. However, if you’re more a “do-it-yourself” person, you still have options! Read our tips on the best ways to get rid of mold in your home safely and naturally!

ServiceMaster of Charleston is Here to Help

Toxic mold is not a situation you want to ignore! If you’re in need of assistance, rely on the professional and experienced team at ServiceMaster of Charleston. Our trained mold remediation technicians use only the latest technology and techniques to rid your home of mold once and for all and restore your peace of mind. Don’t wait! Call us today and let us know what we can do for you!