Life is full of surprises! While some are warmly welcomed, others are not so much. A perfect example would be unexpected flooding and water damage to your home. Surprise! This can be one of the most devastating forms of damage that your home can take, and many people who are suddenly affected have no idea where to start. If you find yourself in this situation, the first thing to do is call ServiceMaster of Charleston for prompt action and the best water damage restoration in Charleston, SC. Until our experts arrive, here are just a few things you can do, and not do, to ensure the emergency water removal process goes as smoothly as possible.
If you’re in need of emergency water removal, contact ServiceMaster of Charleston immediately! We will get started right away with the water and flood damage recovery process so we can restore your home and peace of mind.
6 Safety Precautions to Consider
Until ServiceMaster of Charleston arrives, there are very simple things you can do to make the restoration process faster and easier. However, before you begin any of these tasks, your first priority should be the safety of you and your family. When entering your home for the first time after a flood, here are a few things to consider:
- Have you gotten approval from local police that it’s safe to return to your home?
- Does your home look like it is safe to stay in?
- Is any water soaking electric outlets or appliances? If so, steer clear!
- Have you turned the power off?
- Wet materials can be heavy, so be careful!
- Only perform activities that are safe.
The Do’s and Don’ts of Emergency Water Removal
Once you’re sure that it is safe to operate within your home, here are some simple tasks you can do to get the emergency water removal process started
- Turn off the main water valve in your home.
- Move any electronics and electrical devices out of damp areas.
- Rescue curtains, bed skirts, and other furniture skirts off the floor by pinning them up or removing them completely.
- Remove important documents, valuable items, and fragile items from the flooded area immediately.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Wash your hands after touching flood water and contaminated objects.
- Move large furniture. Instead, focus on smaller objects that you are easily able to relocate.
- Use your own equipment to clean excess water.
- Step on carpets since this sends water deeper into the padding.
- Turn on fans as this could spread airborne bacteria and contaminants.
- Leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet and floors.
- Use television or other appliances.
Water Damage is Serious Business. That is Why We Make it Our Business!
ServiceMaster of Charleston is available on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year for our local customers in Charleston! We use a reliable six-step process with proven results that not only restores your home, but your peace of mind. Our professional and knowledgeable experts will also be there to help you every step of the way like a good neighbor should be. If you’re in need of a water restoration company, contact us today let’s get started immediately!